a. Listening: get information and views from the listening material;
b. Speaking: express one’s attitude or views about friends and friendship in appropriate words.
c. Reading: enable the Ss to get the main idea
d. Writing: write some advice about making friend as an editor
a. Talk about friends and friendship; how to make friends; how to maintain friendship
b. Use the following expressions:
I think so. / I don’t think so.
I agree. / I don’t agree.
Of course not.
I’m afraid not.
c. to enable the Ss to control direct speech and indirect speech
d. vocabulary: add point upset calm concern careless loose cheat reason list share feeling thought German series outdoors crazy moonlight purpose dare thunder entirely power according trust indoors suffer teenager advice quiz editor communicate situation habit
add up calm down have got to be concerned about walk the dog go through hide away set down a series of on purpose in order to face to face according to get along with fall in love join in
a. To arose Ss’ interest in learning English;
b. To encourage Ss to be active in the activities and make Ss to be confident;
c. To develop the ability to cooperate with others.
a. To develop Ss’ cognitive strategy: taking notes while listening;
b. To develop Ss’ communicative strategies.
5. 文化目标：to enable the Ss to get to know different opinions about making friends from different countries.
1. Ss listen to an English song AULD LANG SYNE.
2. Brainstorming: let Ss say some words about friendship – honest, friendly, brave, humorous, funny, wise, kind, open-minded, responsible, helpful….
Step 2. Talk about your old friends
1. Ss talk about their old friends in Junior Middle School, talk about their appearance, personality, hobbies, etc.
Step 3. Make new friends
1. Ss go around and ask their new friends some information and fill in the following form
Name Age/hobbies/favorite sports, books, …
2. Report to the class: who will probably be your friend why.
Step 4. Do a survey
Ss do the survey in the text ,P1
Sep 5. Listening and talking
Do Wb P41 (Talking). While Ss listen to the material, ask them to take notes about the speaker’s views of making friends.
When Ss make their conversation, ask them to try to use the following expressions.
I think so. / I don’t think so. I agree. / I don’t agree.
That’s correct. Of course not. Exactly. I’m afraid not.
Step 6. Discussion
Divide Ss four in one group and each group choose a topic to discuss. There are four topics.
Topic 1: Why do you need friends? Make a list of reasons why friends are important to you.
Topic 2: There is a saying “to have a good friend, you need to be a good friend.” What do you think of the saying and how can you be a good friend?
Topic 3: Does a friend always have to be a person? What else can be your friend? Why?
Topic 4: List some qualities of a person who does not make friend easily.
Step 7. Summary
1. Ask Ss themselves to summarize what is friendship and what is the most important in making friends.
2. T shows more information about friendship and a poem about friendship.
What is friendship?
I want to find the answer to the question
What is friendship?
When it rains, I think friendship is a small umbrella.
It can give me a piece of clear sky.
When I’m crying, I think friendship is a white handkerchief.
It can wipe my tears dry.
When I am sad, I think friendship is a warm word.
It can bring me happiness again.
When I am in trouble, I think friendship is a strong hand.
It can help me escape my troubles.
When I sit in a quiet place, I think friendship is a very wonderful feeling.
It can’t be pulled and torn, because it is in everyone’s heart.
It is there from the beginning to the end of our lives.
3. Tell Ss: make new friends and keep the old; one is silver and the other is gold.
Step 8. Evaluation
Ss finish the following evaluation form. Standard: A, B,C
Contents 自评 他评
1. I’m active in talking with others.
2. I’m active in cooperating with others.
3.I can express myself fluently, accurately and appropriately.
4. I know more about friendship after this lesson..
5. Do you think you need to improve yourself in some aspects? Which aspects?
1. Look up the new words and expressions in warm-up and pre-reading in a dictionary.
2. Write a short passage about your best friend.
Activity1: Suppose you have to stay indoors to hide yourself for a whole year. You can never go outdoors, otherwise you will be killed. You have no telephone, computer, or Tv at home.
How would you feel?
What would you do?
Four students a group discuss with each other for 2 minutes.
Activity2: Play a short part of the movies Schindler’s List
Students read the title of the passage and observe the pictures and the outline of it to guess:
Who is Anne’s best friend?
What will happen in the passage?
Students skim the passage in 2 minutes to get the main idea :
Who is Anne’s best friend?
When did the story happen?
Students work in pairs to find the information required below:
in World War Ⅱ
Step5. Intensive reading
Students work in group of four to discuss the following open questions:
1.Why did the windows stay closed?
2.How did Anne feel?
3.What do you think of Anne?
4.Guess the meanings of “spellbound”, “ hold me entirely in their power” from the discourse(语篇,上下文).
5.Which sentences attract you in the passage? Step6. Activity
Four students a group to discuss the situation:
Suppose you four have to hide yourselves for 3 months. During the three months, you will be offered the basic food, water and clothes. Your group can take 5 things with you.
What will you take? Why?
How will you spend the 3 months?
How will you treat each other and make friends ?
Task1.Surf the internet to find Anne’s Diary and read some of it. Print out a piece of the diary and write down your feelings after reading it on the page. We will share the pieces and your feelings with the whole class.
Step 1. Warming up
Check the Ss’ assignment: task 2
Step 2. Language points:
1. add (v.)
1). To put together with something else so as to increase the number, size, importance, etc.增加，添加
Please add something to what I’ve said, John.
2). To join numbers, amount, etc so as to find the total 相加
Add up these figures for me, please.
add to something: to increase 增加
What he did has added to out difficulties.
add up to: to amount to 加起来等于;总计
The cost added up to 100 million yuan.
2. cheat v. 1). To act in a dishonest way in order to win 欺骗;作弊
2). (of, out of) to take from (someone) in a dishonest way 骗取
They cheated the old woman out of her money by making her sign a document she didn’t understand.
n. 1). an act of cheating 作弊行为
2). one who cheats 骗子
3. go through
1). To examine carefully 仔细阅读或研究
I went through the students’ papers last night.
2). To experience 经历，遭受或忍受
You really don’t know what we went through while working on this project.
4. crazy (adj.)
1). mad, foolish 疯狂的，愚蠢的
It’s crazy to go out in such hot weather.
2). wildly excited; very interested 狂热的，着迷的
She is crazy about dancing.
5. lonely (adj.) unhappy because of being alone or without friends 孤独的，寂寞的
He has been very lonely since his wife left him.
1). without or separated from others 单独的
She lives alone.
2). only 仅仅，只有。用于名词或代词之后。
The gloves alone cost $ 80.
leave/let sb. or sth. alone: not take, touch or interfere with sb or sth 不带走，不触摸，不干涉某人或某事
Leave that alone. It’s mine.
She has asked to be left alone.
6. be concerned about/for: be worried about 担心
We’re all concerned about her safety.
1). Adj. worried; sad; angry; not calm 不安，心烦意乱， 生气
He is upset.
2). V. cause to worry, to be sad, to be angry, not to be calm 使不安，使生气
His cheating on the exam upset his teacher.
8.well n. 井 adj. 身体好 adv. 好 Int. 噢，
George was well and truly drunk.
I couldn’t very well say no when there was no one else she could ask.
9. spellbind: to hold the complete attention of 吸引人，迷人，是入迷
The children watched spellbound as the magician took rabbits from his hat.
Step 3. Learning about language
1. Finish Ex.1, 2 and 3. on Page 4.
2. Direct speech and indirect speech: Ss do Ex.1 and 2 on Page 5. Then let the Ss themselves discover the structures.
Step 4. Practice
Using structures on Page 42: ask the Ss to use indirect speech to retell the story.
Step 5. Assignment
Finish Wb. Ex, 1 and2 on page 41 and 42.
Step 1. Revision
Check the Ss’ assignment.
Step 2. Reading
Ss read the letter on page 6
1. get along with
2. fall in love
Step 3. Listening
Ss should take notes while they are listning.
1. first listening: Ss listen and answer the questions of part 2 on page 6.
2. second listening: Ss listen again and finish part 3 on page 6.
Step 4. Listening
Ss listen to a story about Anne and try to finish Wb. Ex 1 and 2 on page 43 and page 44.
Step 5. Speaking
Ss work in groups of four. Design a questionnaire to find out what kind of friends your classmates are. They can use the quiz in the Warming up to help them.
Step 6. Assignment
1. Ss prepare the reading task on page 44.
2. Surf the internet and find some material about friendship in different countries.
Step 1. Warming up
Ss say something about making friends and how to maintain friendship.
Step 2. Listening
Ss listen to a short passage and fill in the blanks on page 41 (listening).
Step 3. Reading
1. first reading: Ss read the passage about friendship in Hawaii and finish Wb.Ex1.on page 45.
2. second reading: Ss read again and discuss the questions on page 45.
3. Ss share their material about friendship in different countries in groups, and then choose some groups to show theirs in class.
Step 4. Discussion
What do you and your friends think is cool?
Ss look at the photos on page 46 and in groups of four talk about whether what they are doing is cool or not .
Ask Ss to use the following sentences while they talk:
I think that… is cool/ isn’t cool because ….
I think so.
I don’t think so.
I agree with you.
I don’t agree with you.
Step 5. assignment
Ss collect some proverbs about friendship.
Step 1. Pre-writing
1. Read a letter from a student called Xiaodong.
2. Go over the advice on page 7 and be ready for writing.
Step 2. While-writing
Ask the Ss to write a letter to Xiaodong as an editor and give him some advice.
1. Ss make a list about the important information that they need.
2. Ss begin to write the letter to Xiaodong.
3. Ss revise their letters by themselves.
4. Ss exchange their writing paper with their partners and correct the mistakes. (tense, spelling, letters, structures….)
5. Ss get back their own writing paper and write the letter again.
Step 3. Post-writing
Choose some students’ writing paper and show in the class. Ask the Ss to correct the mistakes together and also learn from some good writings.
Step 4. Writing for fun
1. Ss read the passage on page 7 by themselves.
2. Ss try to write a few lines to describe their best friends or a person they know.
3. Show some Ss’ writings in class.
Do Wb writing task on page 46.
Teachers can use this period freely.
Suggestion: Teachers can use this period to let Ss sum up what they have learned and explain what Ss couldn’t understand very well in this unit. Teachers can also add more practice in this period to consolidate what the Ss have learned. Finally, ask the Ss to finish checking yourself on page 47. It is very important to improve their learning.